I just discovered larabars. Like last week. Where on earth have I been? They are great! The ones I liked the most were the cashew date and the apple pie. So this recipe is more along the lines of the cashew one, but just add dried apples and they would would be your apple/date bars. I’ll try that next batch.
Ingredients are simple. I got this off a site called ‘bites for babies’. Go figure. I’m making baby food. I just added and took away a few things from hers like honey. I don’t know why you would want to add a sweetener to these, the dates make them plenty sweet enough!
Joe loved them and he is usually my seal of approval. Said they tasted like lemon meringue.
* 1 cup packed dates (make sure to take the seeds out. I forgot and food processors really don’t like them)
* 1/2 cup shredded coconut
* 1/2 cup cashews (either roasted or plain. Not salted)
* 3 TB almond butter
* 1 TB coconut oil (not melted)
* 1 tsp vanilla extract
* 1/8 tsp sea salt
* zest of one lemon
* 1 TB squeezed lemon juice
1. Add all ingredients to your food processor and blend away!
2. One you have your desired consistency transfer to a baking pan lined with parchment paper. Smooth the ingredients so they are about 1/2 inch high. You can make it nice and even by pressing it down with an extra piece of parchment paper, also rolling the sides up.
3. Refrigerate about 2-3 hours until they are hard enough to cut into pieces. Wrap each one up in Saran Wrap and keep in the fridge until you have a sweet tooth or need a little burst of an energy bar!
(The picture is actually 2 batches. I bought a pound of dates and that ended up being about 2 cups so figured just make another batch- made about 14 bars)
I realize these shouldn’t be eaten everyday and in case of emergencies… But I like to have something on hand in my house in case this is something I NEED! Even half a bar is pretty satisfying.